A LESSON ON COLOR







Y'all I have a little news to share today.  I was afraid to speak about it cause....I wanted to make sure I wouldn't end up with egg on my face....literally..... because with WW you eat a lot of eggs and I'm already sick of them but that is a whole other story. 

Back in February I flew up to NYC with Michael Ladisic [Ladisic Fine Homes] to meet with the team at House Beautiful.....

Yes..... let that sink in a minute.

You know...just a National Design Magazine

Instead of doing a Kitchen of the Year they are doing a whole house and picked Atlanta and then Michael to build it.  And he just kind of slid me in.

I'm such a goober....I didn't see anyone else taking pictures of their name tag:)


We had a tour of the Hearst Building.....


We were at the very top here....

Agenda....

It was an epic day for sure....there we were..... and across the table...... Sophie Donelson [the editor] and her team.   Lord I couldn't even speak....which will surprise all of my friends:)

"The Whole Home Project Concept House celebrates living with wellness and technology.  From a kitchen designed to make you healthier, to an entryway and garage organized to eliminate clutter and promote calmness, to every space around and in-between"

So excited to be a part of the team....but then amongst all the chatter I heard the word "color"**sound of scratching record**

Huh?  Do they know me?  Cause....

But in all honesty why am I surprised?  HB is known for their colorful pages.  I started to sweat...."Sherry can you do color?"  Um of course I can "color is my middle name....I was raised on color....I eat sleep breath color"

Clearing my throat.....meekly.....sure.

Fast forward to my first [key word here] go around with the bedroom.


Blush and blue gray....This is color to me:)  Apparently not to HB. 

 
And then the family room....



I fell hard for these colors in this Thibaut fabric!

It was a beat down....but hey in all honesty to a person who has white floors and white walls this IS color....hee haw.

And to be totally transparent....they did like it....at least that is what they told me.....[snickering in the background] but just not enough color.  So I said "do you mean like yellows, gold, teal, corals?"

Uh huh....yep that IS what they meant.  HB does not play when you are talking color......now I was sweating.  It's like a person who does recreational drugs compared to someone who is a full blown addict.

Suysel dePedro Cunningham and Anne Maxwell Foster

Miles Redd

Jeffery Bilhuber

So you can see I will have to think outside my neutral box to get this job done.  I think an interventionist or a hypnotist might be on the horizon.

Oh yes and speaking of Weight Watchers.....I'm hungry y'all.  I want some butter.  I'm tired of eggs...bacon....and fruit.  There is a lot of food planning involved.  I asked my sister how long we have to do this and she said.....what do you mean....it's forever.  

FOREVER....What?  Not too sure about that.  We need to talk.

Shastarving







18 comments

bluehydrangea said...

Congratulations!! So exciting!! And I can't wait to see how you do color, know it will be fabulous!

Regina said...

Congrats! Can’t wait to see what you do. We’re never too old to try something new! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh geez. What a feather in your cap! Congratulations!!! The color thing, wow. I'm sweating for you. I thought I was being color crazy when I bought something other than white flowers for my Easter table. If I had to do color it would be green, I actually never met a green I didn't like. Who am I fooling, Green is a neutral. lol

Christy Spearman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christy Spearman said...

haha - posted before spell check and morning coffee...Congrats - this is such great news!! I can't wait to see what the end result will be!!

Unknown said...

Well I’m with you on color. I love everything you do, so I’m sure you will make it beautiful, but I quit buying that magazine because I didn’t like the color they were doing.

Karen

Calypso In The Country said...

Congrats - you are just so funny! I love everything you design so I am sure it will turn out beautiful!
Shelley

Anonymous said...

Please don't do yellow....or purple! xoxox

Gail said...

See...you made me laugh again, several times! Congratulations, you’re the perfect designer for the job, despite the fact that you’re allergic to color! I have faith that you will crawl out of the neutral box and fall in love with the colors of the rainbow (maybe after some therapy, drugs and alcohol!) no really, I know it’ll be fabulous and can’t wait to see the end result!
xo Gail

Kathysue said...

First CONGRATULATIONS, this is fabulous news and I knew it would happen for you and now here you are, Missy you are big time now!! You've got this!! Black and white base with pops of color. I've always said you are one of the designers I would let loose in my house and you know how particular and picky I am, but I trust you and your talents!! They called on you because YOU are the expert and they love your designers eye!!! If you ever need a little confidence booster just email me. I am always going to be your cheerleader!!

michele said...

So exciting!!!!! Sherry, I think I'm the natural choice for your assistant since you need a color expert...hahahhaha. So dang happy for your talented self. This is going to be awesome to watch the project progress. I love Weight Watchers and am cheering you on in that department as well. You have to make the 0-point soup with all the fiber in it. And salsa, Sherry. Eat it and dance it. And when you need cake, you mix a cake mix and a can of diet coke, bake it, then sprinkle with some powdered sugar. I know such things but just don't often apply such things. YOU CAN DO IT! :0

Clrbham said...

Congratulations...cannot wait to see this one completed!!! I love what YOU picked and wish HB would just go with it. I am in your camp...white, black, gray, and neutrals ARE colors. I know it is not the current thinking, but you are a master of design and can make anything look spectacular!!! Hope we will get some sneak peaks along the way. ��. Clrbham

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Excellent news, Sherry. Congratulations! I think they like color as it helps the design jump off the page more. You are up to the challenge!

beyondbeige said...

Diets suck. Ask me, I've lost the same damn 20 lbs 20 times. Id rather be fat. Umm stocky.

StagerLinda said...

Awesome news, Sherry. Congrats. YOU ARE DEFINITELY GOING TO NEED CARBS!!

MimiC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MimiC said...

I love your beautiful designs! I've fallen in love with the idea boards you posted here! The Thibaud is gorgeous -- and now I want to do something with it in MY house! You're fabulously talented, and you just might bring a little more classy look to HB with your design work. I don't enjoy HB because of those gosh-awful brash colors so often in their stories. You will bring something special & wonderful to this project. Just relax and be yourself!

SpectacularlyD said...

I'm a little biased but a lot excited Sherry, your take on color will certainly create the peaceful, happy, contented feel this house will create!

Back to Top